Every day, studies are getting closer and closer to hard proof of the health benefits of cannabis, such as treating epilepsy, anxiety, and chronic pain, not to mention its potential to prevent cancer. If you’re a CBD user who is looking for the health and wellness benefits of the cannabis plant without always getting high, and you’re already growing your own marijuana, it might be worth it to take the next step and make your own CBD oil at home too. For the same reasons many people grow their own marijuana, people opt to produce their own CBD oil as well.
Making CBD Oil at Home is Money in the Bank
CBD oils, tinctures, and edibles are all fairly expensive products. While they are worth the money because of CBD’s long list of curative effects, if it’s possible and not that challenging to make your own at home, why not do it and save the money? If you make your CBD oil correctly, you can save around 50 percent or even more from what you’d be paying in the store. Of course, the trick is making it correctly, but all you have to do is follow some fairly simple steps, and you’ve got yourself a fine CBD oil.
Making CBD Oil at Home is Quality Control
CBD products are not well-regulated at this point in time. As cannabis is not federally legal in most places, there are no federal regulations to guide and protect the public when it comes to CBD products. This means there could be ingredients in your CBD products that you weren’t expecting and that are not necessarily safe. For instance, there are manufacturers out there using toxic solvents that can end up in the CBD product you buy. Some CBD vaping liquids have even caused trips to the emergency room. The health benefits of CBD are many, but using CBD that contains toxic or other unsafe elements may very well cancel out any health benefits you were hoping for, perhaps even creating health problems.
Making CBD oil at home from the marijuana your grow will eliminate this potential issue. You know the quality of your own product, and with quality ingredients comes quality results in your CBD oil.
How To Make CBD Oil At Home
- Choose a strain with high CBD content. Grind the marijuana buds, leaves, and stems in a weed grinder. Make sure it is well ground.
- Decarboxlyation: bake the ground marijuana in the oven at 220 degrees Fahrenheit for 90-100 minutes.
- Once you’re done baking it, place the ground marijuana in a mason jar. Now add your choice of carrier oil. You can use pure coconut oil, hemp seed oil, or olive oil, to name a few. The weed must be saturated in the oil. The potency of your final product will depend on how much oil you use. More oil will make a less potent final product. Cover the mason jar tightly with a lid.
- Boil the mixture. Begin by taking a sauce pan or pot and placing a towel at the bottom of it. Now set the mason jar on top of the towel and fill the sauce pan or pot with water. Heat until it reaches 200 degrees Fahrenheit. You’ll need a thermometer to keep track of this. Leave it for around three hours, checking now and again to make sure the water has not evaporated. After three hours, turn off the stove, and let the mason jar sit there in the pan for another three hours. Now heat it again for three hours with the same method, and then let it sit over night.
- Your CBD oil will be ready in the morning. All you have to do is strain it with a cheesecloth into the container of your choosing.
Making CBD Oil at Home is Not for Everyone
It is a careful and time-consuming process to make CBD oil at home, so understandably, not everyone is going to want to or even be successful at doing it. While not all CBD oil on the market can be trusted, Cannahealth has put together a reliable list of some of the best CBD oil out there for those not wanting to brave making their own at home.